Senior Ensembles Attendance Policy
The following attendance policy corresponds to the Concert Band, Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble, and Wind Symphony.
Members are expected to be available throughout the concert season, which extends from mid-October through mid-May. Membership in Nassau-Suffolk Performing Arts requires a regular and permanent commitment to our scheduled rehearsal times and concerts. Absences from rehearsals are detrimental to the ensemble's progress as a whole and counterproductive to a member's personal development. The attendance requirements are designed to provide members with a clear understanding of their responsibilities in order to achieve success as a performing ensemble. We encourage each musician to review his/her calendar for possible conflicts before completing the registration process. Below is a summary of the attendance policy.
- Our attendance policy allows for excused absences for school music commitments. These absences must be submitted by using the Nassau Suffolk Absence Notification Webform as soon as you become aware of a conflict but no later than two weeks prior to the absence.
- The dress rehearsal is a mandatory rehearsal. Absence from this rehearsal will only be excused if it is due to a school musical commitment or the conductor has approved the absence two weeks prior to the rehearsal.
- Please make every effort possible to schedule SAT exams, NYSSMA adjudications, college visits and family obligations around the Nassau-Suffolk schedule. If you are unable to do so and if it becomes absolutely necessary, up to two additional absences each concert period may be permitted for these purposes. These absences must be submitted by using the Nassau Suffolk Absence Notification Webform as soon as you become aware of a conflict but no later than two weeks prior to the absence. The Assistant Director must approve these absences in advance.
- Any absence due to illness should be reported to using the Nassau Suffolk Absence Notification Webform or by phone at (516) 538-ARTS (2787) as soon as possible but no later than 8:00 am on the date of the missed rehearsal. State your name, ensemble, instrument, and reason for the absence. When reporting an absence by phone, speak slowly and clearly. Please be aware that absences due to illness are included in your two additional absences per concert period.
- Musicians should arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of each rehearsal and sign-in before the start of the rehearsal. Ensemble members must be in their seats ready to begin at rehearsal start time. Arrival after the start time and up to 45 minutes after rehearsal start time will be considered half an absence. Any late arrival after 45 minutes or more will be considered a full absence. If a student must leave a scheduled rehearsal within one hour prior to the conclusion of the rehearsal it will be considered half an absence. A Nassau Suffolk Absence Notification Webform should be completed and submitted to the conductor prior to the start of the rehearsal.
Your membership will be subject to termination without refund if it is determined by the Conductor or Directors, that you have not fulfilled your obligations and responsibilities to the ensemble.